University of Alberta Research Experience (UARE)
The University of Alberta Research Experience (UARE) is a research internship program allowing top senior undergraduate students from key partner universities to conduct research at UAlberta under the supervision of faculty members who are experts in their field.
Students gain hands-on, practical research experience in their academic discipline and receive a stipend of $5,000 CAD.
When are placements available?
UARE placements are available during winter (January to mid-March) and summer (May to August). Placements should be 10-12 weeks.
Note: The Application period for 2016 UARE internships has already passed. Information regarding 2017 UARE Summer and Wintern internships will be available June 1st, 2016.
Learn about UARE from past interns
Ideal participants will meet the following criteria:
- Senior undergraduate students (3rd or 4th year). Master's students from certain institutions may be eligible.
- Enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at a designated partner institution (see below).
- Have a minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0 or B on a 4-point scale (or equivalent etc).
- Past UARE participants are ineligible.
|Designated Partner Institutions
|Australia: University of Western Australia, University of Sydney
|Brazil: UNICAMP, Universidade de São Paulo, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
|China: East China Normal University, Fudan University, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Sichuan University, Tsinghua University, Zhejiang University
|Colombia: Universidad del Rosario
|Germany: Ludwig-Maximilians University of Munich, Technical University of Munich, RWTH Aachen University
|India: IIT Bombay, IIT Kharagpur
|Korea: Seoul National University
|New Zealand: Auckland University
|Peru: Universidad Nacional de Ingenieria
|Singapore: National University of Singapore
|UK: University of Leeds
|USA: University of Arizona
University of Alberta International provides full support for participants before, during and after their placement. A formal orientation, professional development seminars, academic networking opportunities, and a poster symposium are all offered to program participants.
Opportunities to participate in cultural and social events such as city festivals or day trips to nearby attractions are offered on a weekly basis. A trip to the Rocky Mountains is made available to every intern.
How to Apply
Students from eligible partner institutions apply for posted research positions online.
You must upload the following documents with your online application:
- Letter of intent
- Scanned Official Transcript
- Two academic references, submitted directly from the referee via the system
Only selected students will be contacted.
For Faculty: Post a Project & Host an Intern
Faculty members interested in hosting an intern during summer or winter should submit a proposal for a research project. Projects are accepted from all Faculties in all disciplines.
Why submit a proposal?
- International exposure for your research.
- Financial support for students ($2,000 commitment from the UAlberta faculty member or department; $3,000 is funded centrally for a total of $5,000). Note: Central funding is provided on a first-come, first-serve basis. Faculties may choose to fully fund additional interns if their own budget permits.
- Support for graduate student recruitment.
- Research project is showcased at a poster symposium.
- Administrative and program assistance provided by UAI.
Submitting a project
The deadlines for faculty to post a project for 2016 have already passed. The deadlines to post UARE internship projects for 2017 will be posted by June 1st, 2016.
The research supervisor has full control over the final selection of the research intern.