UAlberta and RWTH Aachen
Sharing common goals and vision, the University of Alberta and the Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen (RWTH Aachen) have been developing a partnership based upon research interests related to sustainable energy, computer sciences and medical engineering.
Both UAlberta and RWTH Aachen want to embark on a partnership in which a breadth and depth of collaborative activities will be developed that go well beyond any of the numerous routine linkages.
Both universities wish to:
- enhance research capabilities
- broaden collaborative networks
- improve abilities to connect with public and private funding partners
- offer graduate and undergraduate students new opportunities for experiential learning
- contribute more effectively to the innovation agendas in Canada, Germany, and beyond
About RWTH Aachen
RWTH Aachen University is a research university located in Aachen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
- RWTH Aachen is Germany's largest technical university, with more than 42,000 students enrolled in 144 study programs.
- More than 6,500 people with an international background, from more than 120 countries, currently study, research, teach, and work at RWTH Aachen.
- The university maintains close links to industry – one in five board members of German corporate groups has studied in Aachen.
- RWTH Aachen accounts for the highest amount of third-party funds of all German universities in both absolute and relative terms per faculty member.
- In 2007, RWTH Aachen was chosen by the DFG (German Research Association) as one of nine German Universities of Excellence for its future concept RWTH 2020: Meeting Global Challenges and additionally won funding for one graduate school and three clusters of excellence.
- RWTH Aachen is a founding member of IDEA League, a strategic alliance of four leading universities of technology in Europe.
RWTH Aachen University's 620-acre campus is located in the north-western part of the city Aachen. There are two core areas - midtown and Melaten district. The Main Building, SuperC student's center and the Kármán Hall are at the heart of the city with the Aachen Cathedral, the Audimax (biggest lecture hall) and the main refectory only a little bit farther. Other points of interest include the university's botanical garden (Botanischer Garten Aachen).
For more information & funding opportunities
Dr Alex Kuznetsov, Regional Manager
University of Alberta International
+1 (780) 492-4482
RWTH Aachen’s research institutes include:
- Centre for Computational Engineering Science (CCES)
- Aachen Institute of Raw Materials (AIR)
- Aachen Center for Integrative Lightweight Production (AZL)
- Bionic Centre Aachen
- Computational Chemistry Coalition (CCC)
- E.ON Energy Research Center
- Interdisciplinary Imaging & Vision Institute Aachen (i3ac)
- Virtual Reality Center Aachen (VRCA)
- Center for Metallic Design (ZMB)
RWTH Aachen University is a member of the following international and domestic cooperation networks:
- Internet der Produktion/Internet of Production
- Neuroinspirierte Computer: Von neuartigen Materialien zu neuen Berechnungsparadigmen (NeuroIC)/ Neuroinspired Computers: From New Materials to New Calculation Paradigms (NeuroIC)
- Die Zukunft des wissenschaftlichen Rechnens: Prädiktive Hierarchische Simulation/ The Future of Scientific Computing: Predictive Hierarchical Simulation
Das Fuel Science Center – Adaptive Systeme zur Umwandlung von erneuerbarer Energie und Kohlenstoffquellen
- Das Fuel Science Center – Adaptive Systeme zur Umwandlung von erneuerbarer Energie und Kohlenstoffquellen/ The Fuel Science Center - Adaptive Systems for the Conversion of Renewable Energy and Carbon Sources