University of Alberta Research Experience (UARE-Canada)
UARE-Canada is a paid summer internship program for top Canadian undergraduate students to conduct research at UAlberta under the supervision of leading researchers.
Canadian undergraduates gain hands-on research experience and earn up to $6,000 during UARE-Canada placements, normally four months during the summer (May to August).
Intern activities could include assisting in experiments, conducting participatory interviews, reviewing and synthesizing data, or carrying out literature research and reviews as directed by the supervisor.
Interns also participate in a Research Intern Poster Symposium to showcase their UARE project.
Summer 2014 Placements (normally May–August)
Participants must meet the following criteria:
- Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident
- Normally a senior undergraduate student (3rd or 4th year)
- Enrolled in an undergraduate degree program, normally at a Canadian university (other than the University of Alberta)
- Have a minimum GPA of B+ (or equivalent)
- Student stipend of $6,000 per intern
($4,000 from central UAlberta funds + a $2,000 commitment from the UAlberta faculty member)
- the stipend will be prorated accordingly for internships less than four months
UAlberta faculty members submit a research proposal online and students from Canadian institutions then apply; selection will follow.
For UAlberta Faculty
For Students from Canadian institutions
Faculty members interested in hosting a Canadian intern during summer 2014 should submit a research project proposal online by November 30, 2013.
UARE-Canada is open to all Faculties and disciplines.
Why submit a proposal?
The benefits of U ARE for faculty members include:
- National exposure for your research
- Financial support for students ($2,000 commitment from the UAlberta faculty member/department; $4,000 is funded centrally for a total of $6,000)
- Support for graduate student recruitment
- Administrative and program assistance provided by UAI
- Research project is showcased at a poster symposium
Proposal Submission Deadline: November 30, 2013
The research supervisor has full control over the final selection of the research intern.
Central funding is provided on a first-come, first-serve basis. Faculties may choose to fully fund additional interns if budget permits.
Detailed Terms of Reference (PDF)
Students from Canadian institutions apply for posted research positions online.
December 2 - December 31, 2013
View available positions
For your application to be considered complete, the following supporting documents must be uploaded to the system before the deadline:
- a scanned official transcript
- Letter of Intent
- Two academic references, submitted directly from referees via the system
Only selected students will be contacted.
Need help applying?
Watch our application video tutorial.
- Applications reviewed for completeness and eligibility.
- UAlberta faculty review applications and notify UAI of selected candidates.
- Selection of research interns by UAlberta Supervisors.
- Finalization of placements.
- Letters of invitation produced and signatures acquired from UAlberta Faculties/departments.
- Letters of invitation sent to students.
- Administrative support to facilitate internship
- Complete list of interns sent to UAlberta faculty
Interns must arrive before their posted project start date, but no later than May 12.
|Orientation & Intercultural Activity
|Seminar 1: Graduate Studies @ UAlberta
|Seminar 2: Presenting Your Research
|Seminar 3: Designing Your Research Poster
|Research Poster Symposium & Certificate Ceremony